Green in my gene?


In the past year of lockdown, I was able to take on a new hobby in my spare time. I know what you're thinking. How come there is spare time with kids. In my dictionary, spare time= when kids spare me. Although such moments are devastatingly rare, fortunately they still occur. :D

Anyway, so I decided to give gardening a shot. It all started when I threw an old seeded potato in a planter and it started growing potatoes. My mom however thinks it's not that straightforward.. she says it's my maternal genes. My grandfather (mom's father) in his spare time, also did gardening and was exceptionally good at it.. so was my great grandmother (his mother) who btw was K.M Munshi's(Indian activist, lawyer/writer) sister. (I am so proud of my maternal ancestry😛)

Anyway, so my grandfather had planted 200 different types of roses in his company premises at the time and grew his own vegetables in the backyard when he was stationed in Vishakhapatnam for work. That man was a sheer genius and wore so many different hats. I like thinking I have at least some of his traits/genes.

Is this because of my newly activated green gene or plain lockdown madness who knows.. whatever the reason, I'm just so fascinated by plants now that I've a room just for indoor plants. My past time is to visit Home Depot (a Disneyland for gardeners/plant lovers). I am either buying bags of soil or planters or sometimes just visiting to admire the beautiful indoor plants. 

I have failed miserably at growing so many other kinds of vegetables though but I am not giving up on it just yet.. Maybe making a Pros and cons list will sort this out. Let's see.

PROs
  • Patience
What this hobby has mainly taught me is patience. You would think having kids might have already checked that box. Trust me, caring for plants is more trying than caring for kids sometimes. :D
You build these elevated raised beds and tuck your seeds in a blanket of soil hoping to see some seedlings next morning or two. Nope! They will take forever to germinate and finally when they do, you'll learn about all kinds of creatures that are just as interested in your plants as you. Now you have to move on to the next not-so-fascinating level of learning about all kinds of safe pest control.  Oh man! 
  • Bonding with kids
It is surprising but my toddler seems to have the same green gene. He pulls out weeds when I do and attempts to water the plants with his tiny watering can. He's simply digging out soil all the time and follows me everywhere in the backyard. In fact, this is the only time when he will not disturb me. He's into it as much as me. :)
The 7 year old had a phase but now only has likes things like building a raised bed or harvesting the crops :)
  • Happier spouse
Why you ask? Both the wife and toddler are out of his hair for hours together digging in the backyard ..what's not to like? :D His radiant, clean face can be spotted from a distance and has been smiling more than ever. I like that dimpled smile so it's win win for all of us :D
  • Better than "Farm Fresh"
Last but definitely not the least, the freshness/ flavor of the vegetables grown in your own backyard is on another level.. truly unmatched! Taking that first crunchy bite.. divine experience..not exaggerating.

CONS
  • No instant gratification like the other hobbies (painting/ drawing) I have had where it's just a day's effort or maximum two.
  • Looks: Covered in dirt, messy, brittle hair, tanned face and ugly looking hands. I NEVER had pretty hands but now they're even worse.
More pros right? Okay then. I guess I'll hang on for a tad bit longer. It's spring after all.. the time of the year when everything grows no matter what you do or don't! :D
Let's see where this green journey takes me! 

Eeeiya Eeeiya OOOO!

'





 


Comments

  1. Superb Pooja! Writing in your genes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your blog. You are truly an inspiration. I am planning to get into gardening and your blog inspired me more. Thank you. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pooja, I am always a fan of your writing and this one reminds me why that is the case :) lovely article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the generous comment. It made my day, Rajat :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts