A European summer!

I was scrolling through my old posts the other day and that is when I came across this post about cafes! It brought back some fond memories from our Europe trip..and again later that day someone asked me what were our plans for this summer..and my mind started wandering again..longing to be in the little cottage in Switzerland!   How I wish I could be there right now!!
Ah!! the summer of 2012- memories from that trip are still as fresh as the strawberries on that fancy European dessert we had in a restaurant tucked cozily in a small town in Triberg, Germany. I don't have the picture of the Black forest cake we had in the Black forest region. No picture could ever do justice to that elegantly styledintricately layered cake of cherries soaked in kirschwasser, whipped cream and chocolate.
Germany-June '12
4 young souls wandering with their backpacks and maps, under the summer sky, awestruck each day with the sights of the magnificent monuments, beautiful cathedrals, the rich, priceless collection of art in all forms..those that one had only read about in the history books in school and now to see them in person! It was like HISTORY COMING TO LIFE!
The visit to the Colosseum gave us goosebumps! Being in 1 of the largest amphitheaters ever built..imagining what it would be like to be in 80 A.D..among st 70 - 80,000 others in the audience watching those gladiatorial contests LIVE.. creepy!!
It's not just the rich heritage, history, art that was fascinating but also the little things that were so charming..the cafe culture of Vienna, the bier gartens in Germany, the euro train rides from one beautiful city to another, the tastiest pizzas even in the shadiest corners of the streets in Rome.
One special memory that will stay with me until I die would be the beautiful hikes in Switzerland..surrounded by alps, lush green meadows and Swiss cows :D. It was literally living my dream- being Heidi for a few days! (Those of you who haven't read this classic yet, please do) It is those little things that makes me want to revisit some of those cities.
Gimmelwald, Switzerland- June'12
The culture, the cafes, the cathedrals, the creameries, the countryside (Alliteration!! :D)..everything so enthralling, poetic and picturesque and with some history associated with it! No wonder so many of the world's most legendary artists are from some of these cities. 
One amazing thing we noticed in Munich is the cycling culture. So cool! I mean men and women styled in perfectly tailored suits and classy office attire cycling their way to work! They did it in such style! Impressive!

It's these little things that stole my heart and yet it's the hardest to describe these little experiences and put them in words! That's why they say that some things can only be experienced! My mind is still entertaining itself in one of the pretty cafes in Vienna..watching from it's cute window the little kids playing soccer down the alley adorned with colorful buildings on both sides and the florist next to it bundling some of the prettiest flowers into bouquets, the same kids now racing towards the tiny one man bakery selling fresh Pizza slices right from the oven.

Oh man!!  Sometimes I really wish I were a bird..I would take off right now..not giving it another thought. I would pack my mini bag, stretch my wings, tidy them a bit and soar high..straight out of the office window...gliding across the pacific ocean...but maybe grab a tall latte on the way..you now coz it gets chilly out there especially in the evenings.

No visa applications/ interviews, hotel bookings, car rentals and all the useless painful stuff human race has created to regulate themselves out of distrust on their own race ..juuuust to get from nation to the other. Reminds me of the song "Panchi, nadiyaan, pawan ke zhoke...koi sarhad na inhe rokey" What a song!
Okay okay ..I get it..all this immigration stuff is important and needed ..I just got carried away with the frustration of not being as lucky as birds!  *rolls eyes*

Well! As you all know by now that I like to end my posts on a happy note.. so my plan is to visit some cute European cafe this weekend (NOT STARBUCKS!), read a book, order a fancy scone or two..and muse upon the little joys and sweet memories from our summer trip of 2012!








Comments

  1. Nice ..reading this I so wanna plan my next euro trip ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet, Niraj! Thank mi pan yetey! :D

      Delete
    2. Superb details & Description arrival. And top of it eye & -mind cooling Photos.great Pooja very nice.

      Delete
  2. Pooja! this is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts