Sweet Singapore dreams!

My dearie left for Singapore last night and I felt sad, terribly nostalgic and a bit jealous all at the same time. He asked me what I wanted from Singapore and every time I tried making a list, that song from the movie "Izajjat" started playing in my head..
"Mera kuch samaan tumhare(Singapore ke) pass pada hai"

For those who haven't heard this song, it's a poetry that the heartbroken heroine writes to her ex boyfriend who sends back all her belongings. She writes to him asking him to send a few more things that belonged to her..the starry nights they spent together, the rainy days, the little fights.. in short all the beautiful moments they'd spent together.

The things I wanted from Singapore though didn't involve an ex boyfriend or a broken affair (thankfully) were similar on some level..they were the beautiful, cozy moments spent there.. the little  precious things that could only be experienced..like those frequent thunders followed by heavy showers on dreamy weekend afternoons, those early morning walks to the serene nature park, buying our first home, those Friday night hangouts with the magnificient Marina Bay sands in the backdrop, swimming lessons in the community pool, digging my teeth in the delicious bbq stingray after, running in high heels every single morning to catch the 106 SMRT bus to get to work in time, those Sat morning trips to the wet market to buy super fresh groceries, gobbling down siu mai, laksa, gula melaka in a Kopitiam( a local food court chain) and washing it down with barley water after ..oh how I miss this Merlion city..my home!

There's something about Singapore that in my opinion, has not been said yet. It sure is popular as a dazzling touristy destination with top notch attractions, but what is not known about it is the fact that when you move to this expensive city (for good) you can bring in your culture too. This city is a beautiful blend of many cultures and so you can easily continue to experience your culture here without having to change much whilst enjoying what this fascinating city has to offer.. safety ( so much that you can go for a run at 2 in the morning if you want to without thinking twice), perfect transport system, very efficient government services, super clean and green environment, fitness conscious culture, enormous,scenic nature parks and oh the amazing food!! (The food itself will need a whole new post to cover it all!)
In my opinion, this is what makes it so special and so close to home..it's openness to new cultures.

Another thing that I really admire about Singaporeans is their strong bonding with their families. They are very family minded ( similar to the culture I come from) and so you'll always see them hanging out with their picture perfect families in food courts over breakfast/ lunch/ dinner.
Despite being a competitive city harbouring business executives, engineers, consultants, bankers and professionals from many other fields, it still has this amazing warm traditional side to it. After the long hours of  demanding work, it's hardworking people still manage to settle down in a cozy food court with their families by the end of the day. I really enjoyed watching these cute family experiences in food courts on my way back home..a grandmother feeding a 2 years old while the mother watches the newborn and the father busy placing the order or a group of young cousins having a good laugh while enjoying some chicken rice and iced tea or a an old couple silently enjoying their meal. It's a very unique culture especially for a metropolitan city with such a fast paced life and intense work culture.

My admiration and love for Singapore cannot be wrapped up into this one single post. So I'll just sign off here and go back to bed dreaming about Singapore.. imagining myself  watching the heavy showers from a bustling Kopitiam over a hot cup of Teh -C and some delicious kaya toast.
Singapore dreams..they're the sweetest dreams of all! Good night!

P.S: This post has no photos because none of them capture the essence of Singapore and the things I really miss..and the ones that do are only engraved in my memories where they'll stay forever.

Here's the song I was referring to. Enjoy!!
















Comments

  1. A bit of delay in reading and responding to your post this time; but finally here I go :-). Superb post Pooja..I live ur posts for some reason..although never been to Singapore, I can imagine n visualize everything that you write. Thank you for writing. ..muuuaahhh n loads of love.
    Asmita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every post u write is mesmerising.This song happens to be one of my fav too.You have personified it even better.Have been to singapore twice and can relate to this.You have penned it so very beautifully just as u are.Admire your talent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts